Floor Heating System Canada

Types of Home Heating Sources

Looking to install a new heating system in your home? Today, homeowners have numerous options when it comes to home heating. From furnaces to fireplaces and floor heating systems. What you choose will depend on your budget, needs, and personal preferences. We’ll go over some home heating options you may want to consider and highlight their pros and cons so you can make a more informed decision.

Furnaces

Newer models of furnaces are designed using advanced technologies to boost efficiency and ease of use. The most important thing to consider when choosing a furnace is the Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency (AFUE) ratings. This indicates the amount of energy that will be turned into heat and how much is likely going to be wasted. The most efficient furnaces will turn the most amount of energy into heat. Furnaces with an AFUE rating of 80% convert 80 percent of energy into heat, the other 20% is lost.

There are three main types of furnaces to choose from:

Gas furnaces: These units use natural gas to operate. It requires a gas line, which is often supplied by local utility companies through their supply pipe. This may not be available in very remote areas. The main advantage of natural gas furnaces is that they may cost less to operate than other heating options. Natural gas has become very cost-effective in recent years.

Oil furnaces: Fuel oil can also be used in a furnace to produce heat. This fuel oil is provided by a local supplier in bulk. When using an oil furnace, you must keep track of the oil to ensure it doesn’t run out when you need it. Oil and propane-based furnaces can be expensive to operate.

Electric furnaces: Electric furnaces don’t burn fuel but instead operate using electricity. They don’t emit any gases or carbon monoxide which makes them a safer option in your home. However, electricity is costly compared to natural gas. Electric furnaces are 100% efficient.

Benefits of furnaces

  • They offer a high energy efficiency of 78-84% and even higher
  • They can heat a space so quickly. They can make a room warm and comfortable in a matter of minutes.
  • Natural gas fireplaces are cost-effective and durable. With proper furnace repair in Torontofurnace repair in Toronto, the unit can last for about 15-20 years.
  • With the help of a dehumidifier, humidifier, or air filtration system which can be installed into the furnace, you can maintain high indoor air quality.

Fireplaces

Nothing beats the warmth and ambiance of a fireplace brings in a cold winter evening. When you visit any fireplace store in Torontofireplace store in Toronto, you’re likely to find electric, gas, and ethanol units available in different styles and sizes.

Electric fireplaces: They come with a heating element that can produce flames without the heat. They are cost-effective as they require fewer materials to burn. Additionally, electric fireplaces are energy efficient as the heat emitted is not lost. These units don’t require a vent or chimney. Electric units are easy to install and you can choose between a freestanding or wall-mounted unit.

Ethanol fireplaces: They use bioethanol which is known to produce no smoke or dangerous particles. Ethanol fireplaces produce real flames with about 2-3kW of heat. There’s no heat loss since the unit doesn’t require a chimney. The heat from an ethanol fireplace is distributed evenly around the home. It’s also quite easy to install anywhere in the house from the bedroom to the dining room and patio.

Wood burning fireplaces: You may also opt for the traditional wood burning fireplaces if you’re looking for the warmth and romantic charm of burning wood. However, they are not as energy efficient as gas and electric options. Most wood burning fireplaces convert only 15% of energy into useful heat.

Floor Heating

Another option is to consider floor heating Toronto.floor heating Toronto. Radiant floor heating systems are installed underneath the floor covering to evenly heat the room from the ground up. The heat is distributed across the floor and radiates throughout the room.

Benefits of radiant floor heating systems

  • Radiant floor heating warms the room evenly because heat is distributed gradually throughout the space. Once the system is shut off, the warmth remains for a while which helps you to save energy.
  • Heated floors are quieter alternatives to heating spaces. These systems don’t produce any noise.
  • Radiant heating provides more comfort, it’s easy to use and efficient. It doesn’t take up any of your floor space and can remain invisible in any room.

Underfloor heating can last for years with little if any maintenance needed.